#70 Battle XI - The Radiant Host of Elohiim

The bitter wind sent ripples racing across the long, wet grass of the Barrow Hill, high up on Barfun Moor. A small copse clung desperately to a rocky outcrop above the weatherbeaten silhouette of long-abandoned herdstone. Beneath the sod lay many graves: some clearly marked, but most hidden and ancient, a few capped with battered rocks, others invisible to profane observers. If not for the howling wind, the hill would have been silent, almost peaceful...

Suddenly, with maddened shrieks, an army of undead monsters descended from the sky: the Angelic Host of the False Messiah. Yet at their centre was no ghoul king, but a Soulblight Vengorian: Elohiim Lord of Hosts, the Terror of Barfunweltz. Around his mighty form flitted Khammron, his new vampire lieutenant, and the mighty gheist-dragon, the Ophanim.

"We are the Radiant Host of Elohiim!" screeched the creatures to any that could understand their cacophony, "and we guard the Barrow Hill of Gulaab Kaphool!"

As if in reply, thunder shook the sky and lightening illuminated the blasted moor as a host of the Anvils of the Heldenhammer descended to contest the sacred ground.

1500pt of Avengorii Soulblight Gravelords versus my usual nemesis, Owen's Gravewalkers. (I used my Crypt Ghoul models as Vargheists to represent the Raptured Court in service of Elohiim.) 


Owen rolled the Apex Predators battleplan which means only leader units can contest objectives. With only two heroes in my army, I had my work cut out...



The Gravewalkers deployed towards the back of their territory, leaving some very threatening units in the heavens. I got first turn and rushed forward to seize all the objectives I could: namely just two of them. My Terrorgheist managed to get across to the enemy lines but failed to do the damage Owen feared from previous experience. Nonetheless, I secured maximum victory points.




In Owen's turn, he used his Stormcast tricks to deploy and redeploy all around me and settled down to shoot my army to shreds. When my Vengorian fell I realised the battle was probably lost. When my Vampire Lord was cut down in combat, I knew it was! Even though Owen had still only scored one victory point, I could no longer contest any objectives. 




In the second turn, I went all out for his four leader units in a desperate attempt to level the playing field. The Vargheists managed to kill the Knight-Vexillor but the other three heroes survived. Yndrasta, Sigmar’s Prime Huntress, was outnumbered by my Zombie Dragon and another unit of Vargheists, but her ward save was impenetrable. By the end of turn two, Owen had one more victory point than me and I had no prospect of gaining any more. The battle was lost.




It was bitterly disappointing to loose Elohiim the Vengorian Lord to shooting before he had a chance to get anywhere near the enemy, but I suppose it was wise of Owen to keep well out of his way! I really wish I'd taken more that two leader units. The Stormcast shooting is absolutely devastating, especially when they get to do it in the Hero phase as well. I need to have a think about how on earth my non-shooting armies can deal with these Graverobbers: the honour of the Roses of Barfunweltz is at stake!

* * *

"Yes," Lord-Relictor Baelor the Revered examined the void beneath the eroded slab of granite, "I believe this is the grave to which our Lord-Exorcist alluded."

Yndrasta peered into dank, dark space. "It appears to be empty. Do you detect any lingering souls?"

"No," replied the Lord-Relictor, "I don't believe this tomb has ever been used, despite it antiquity. How strange that the local Gravelords should guard it so diligently...?"

Lord-Aquilor Taralus Bladestorm growled behind his skull mask. "So we have nothing to show for our endeavour this day?"

"Oh, I wouldn't say that my Lord," smiled the Baelor, "we have shown the newly-arrived Vengorian that the Gravewalkers are not to be defied."

The Lord-Aquilor raised his starbound blade. Once more, thunder cracked and lightening arced down upon the moor. When the gloom returned to the Barrow Hill, nothing remained but some patches of scorched grass and a few splatters of ghoulish blood.

#71 LADY OF THE NIGHT

Comments

Popular Posts